Housing Forward’s Prevail Program provides a wide variety of emergency assistance and support for individuals facing financial or housing crisis in west suburban Cook County. The Employment Readiness Program helps individuals address barriers to employment and locate, obtain and sustain employment leading to improved financial stability. The Employment Program Associate will facilitate client case management and program services; provide follow-up care as needed for clients completing the program, help maintain referral resources for clients; help maintain computerized and paper client files, and assist with outreach to employers and training programs as needed.
Employment Program Responsibilities
- Schedule client appointments
- Work with other agency staff and volunteers to assess client skills, needs and interests to develop individual employment plans.
- Assist with referrals for necessary supportive services to address employment barriers.
- Train clients on basic computer skills and internet use, including how to access and navigate job search sites.
- Assist clients with resume and cover letter preparation, as needed.
- Assist clients with on-line job applications, as needed.
- Maintain employment and training/education referral resources.
- Assist Job Developer with outreach to employers and training/education programs, as needed.
- Assist Employment Training Specialist with client follow up after leaving or completing the program.
- Assist Job Developer with client follow up after becoming employed or enrolling in a training program.
- Maintain accurate client database records, including training/overseeing volunteer data input, in order to track client progress and report outcome and impact measures.
Career Passport Responsibilities
- Conduct outreach activities to identify and encourage the enrollment of clients who could benefit from the intensive employment readiness services of Career Passport. Outreach activities may take place in the Shelter, Support Center, and possibly with collateral agencies such as Way Back Inn and HINES VA, etc.
- Orient clients to the benefits of the Career Passport program, program protocol, and their responsibilities as clients.
- Assist in facilitating the month-long, intensive phase of Career Passport.
- Work with the clients in the group format and on the individual level as warranted to assist them in identifying their employment/career interests, their skills, and how to manage their unique employment challenges.
- Assist in the ongoing development of the program
- Complete reports and gather statistical information as requested by supervisors
- Maintain accurate and confidential files in accordance with Housing Forward policies.
- Develop a cooperative working relationship with other agency staff.
- Attend administrative staff meetings.
- Enter billing information for applicable clients.
- Enter client demographics and service information into HMIS (Homeless Management Information System) to assist in the preparation of aggregate data reports and statistics.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Human Resources, Business Management or related field.
- Experience working in career services and with volunteers is preferred.
- The applicant will have demonstrated experience and ability to interact sensitively and respectfully with persons of various backgrounds.
- Must also have skills in engagement, assessment, self-sufficiency planning and advocacy.
- Consistent, reliable, and team oriented.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong working knowledge of PC operating systems (Windows 7) and related software programs (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and walk up 4 flights of stairs
Other: Access to personal transportation is strongly preferred for this position.
Hours of Work
Full – time AmeriCorps member; 1700 hours to be completed within contracted time frame. Routine schedule of 40 hours per week, may require periodic weekday evening and Saturday morning availability.
- Living Allowance: $12,530 to be distributed in equal allotments every two weeks within the contract term.
- Education Award: Upon successful completion of the member's term of service, the member will receive an education award from the National Service Trust in the amount of $5,730.
- Health care insurance for the AmeriCorps member